Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Teachers and students


As far as I remember, Amelia (who attended high school at that time- from 1979 to 1983) came back to school in a good mood. She felt relaxed full of positive energy after long vacations. Moreover, the girl was full of hope that some things in her school were going to change for better. Mind you, it was a typical school based on strict principles and the relationships between students and their teachers were very formal. It happened, that some teachers were even agressive towards them. I wouldn't say looking at school at those times that it was a rule, but it happened.
According to Amelia, who seemed to be a subtle creature, the worst of all was abusing based on words. She noticed that some words are more painful than anything else. As using abusive words can ruin someone's psyche and lead him (her) to emotional breakdown or to death...If you are interested in this story, let's move together with me to the 80ies and see this scene...
I am standing near the classrom and I am looking at Amelia's teacher of Maths. She has a funny first name (Władysława), and it is the only funny feature of this woman. If some of you, my dear readers - remember the song by Pink Floyd "Another brick in the wall" - you can imagine, how she looks like. It is the woman at the age of 44 (but she seems to be much older), fat and unattractive. As for her personality and teaching skills, I can evaluate them later, when I am sitting near Amelia in the classroom. I feel relaxed and easy, as nobody can notice me, the narrator of this short novel, but I can see everyone - what's more, I can even hear their thoughts, feel their emotions.
To my surprise, the teacher isn't willing to translate anything. but prefers checking her students' knowledge in an abusive way. Not only does she call them names, but also treats them as if they were idiots. Władysława doesn't care about her students' feelings, the only person who counts during this show is her... as if she were a goddess ruling human souls and minds. Such words as justice (meaning justified notes or grades), respect are strange to her. No wonder, that all her students are scared, when they have Maths classes. No wonder, that some of them break down emotionally. No wonder, that one of them commits a suicide.
No wonder, that Amelia wants to leave the school right now (when her boyfriend - the most important love in her life, has to change it, thanks to their teacher of Maths). But her parents don't agree and she stays there until 1983.

No comments: